Speedtest

2015_dec_SXY_first_speedtst

Ok, Schorsch can print @ 220 mm/s and up. But since even PLA quits at these speeds the last layers of this gear are printed at 40mm/s… The first and  the middle part of that gear were printed with 100 – 220 mm/s (first layer ~20mm/s) to see how it works. You can’t really call it ‘printing’ since straight ‘printing’- moves look like normal rapid moves. The result is fightening ugly. I don’t think it is a good idea to print at those speeds. But it’s nice to know that Schorsch could.

It’s done.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Dear world, i did it! I finally did it! I redesigned my printer. Today it printed it’s first things. Straight things, round things, 100% filled things. Now a case.

To be honest, i kept the old four-corners-four-motors-Z-axis… I just wanted to see new Schorsch printing! And how he does…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

But of course i ran into some struggles: Broken wires stopped the heatbed, the temporary magnet for the X-endswitch damaged the switch causing Schorsch to grind madly in the corner and finally loosing the A-line. While dealing with that i figured out that it is a good idea to move the head free with my hands to feel if there is a problem with the lines. If it misses one bearing it is much harder to move – prints start normal but at some rapid move it will loose many steps – and makes you a nice piece of crab. When both lines are jumped off – well, i din’t know.

For today’s over-night-print i reduced Schorsch’s speed to 350mm/s @ 10000mm/s² printing @38mm/s. I noticed the motors lost steps when heated +50°C. Maybe i reduce the current a little. 500mm/s schouldn’t be a problem with only one Hotend.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Old Schorsch is now part of new Schorsch. New PSUs wait to replace the old chinese 1150W PSU on the right and the 15V for the heatbed. As you can see i am still stuck with 200x200mm²… enough to print its new Z.

btw. I removed the door of the nightstand because it was too loud.

Here’s new XY

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

That’s right! New Schorsch is a 60’s nightstand that will leave future archaeologists clueless. The final dimensions are 345 x 205mm². An idea with consequences that kept me awake too long yesterday was to place the Y-endstop at Ymax – only the bugfixed RC of the actual (dec 2015) marlin firmware can handle that with coreXY enabled. The other branches kept Y useless after hitting Ymax…

While researching that problem i found a lot of people using or building coreXY-based printers – yeah! Some of them even use fishing-line! Strike! Now i’ll wait for more old-furniture-printers…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

His first steps

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It’s done. New SchorschXY’s XY-Stage is assembled. When the upper picture was taken i didn’t realize that there are not only two srews missing at that A-Motor. One hole winding on the pulley was also missing making it impossible for the Head to move to X0 Y0… turns out it ‘jumped’ of during montage and the hole 40mm where rolled on the tensioner. Schorsch is a pretty complicate thing. I like that.OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAPutting on the line for the first time took me some time. I learned to love the ptfe-coating of the aramid-line – it helps a lot keeping the line in place even when not tensioned. AND i also learned that the A-line is much harder to install. I took tweezers a toothpick to fiddle it on the tiny 3mm wide BBs. But it seems quite robust when tensioned. OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAFirst i put the ol’ Marlin Firmware on and started testing how it moves. There are no andstops yet. Schorsch runs save at 500mm/s @ 10000mm/s². I don’t think that’s realistic. OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Previev: B-line

2015_dec_b-line00It took me a while to put on Schorsch’s first new line. Both, X- and Y-axis are running so soft and light, it kept going away much too easy. I will make some claps for that (they will be lost the next time i need it).2015_dec_b-line01Here you can see that only the B-line is put on. And you can also see that the tiny grove where the line is guided from the right side is not cleaned up very well… sorry. I’ll fix that. The two ball-bearings facing to the camera are for the A-line that is not put on yet. I noticed that there still are some tubes to make to fix two more bearings and wasn’t in the mood for dirty work anymore… 2015_dec_b-line02The result with only one line is pretty amazing. Next steps include powering up the motors and see how fast it get’s.